Friday, July 18, 2008

Really?

I went to lunch this week with a friend of mine and we headed to Barro's Pizza for the 2-slice lunch special. I don't care what you say; Barro's pizza is one of the best! This day the pizza was indeed great and I was extra happy because one of my slices was huge! You always hope that you don't get stuck with 2 tiny slices. Our conversation over lunch was great too, so it turned out to be a pretty stellar lunch. Until....

We were walking out to my car to head back to work when I hear a voice from behind me. "Excuse me, would you mind sparing me some money for a motel room tonight?" I turn around and there was a kid probably 18 or 19 years old with a cup in his hand. Now he looked hot and sweaty, but he didn't really strike me as the homeless type. I took a few moments to have that internal wrestling match to figure out whether I should continue to my car or stop and hear his story. I opted for the latter not thinking I would regret it later.

I always freeze up in these kinds of situations, not being able to discern how to handle the situation in a Christ-like manner. Nevertheless, I decided to hear the kid out and he told me he got in an argument with his parents and they kicked him out. Right there I should have investigated his story further. Instead I told him I was uncomfortable with giving him money, but that I would buy him a slice of pizza (he also said he hadn't eaten all day).

While we were in line, I asked him why he got kicked out and of course it wasn't his fault at all. His parents were over-reacting and sick of driving him to Glendale to work everyday. Again, I should have made a run for it, but I thought to myself, "what could a little pizza hurt?"

After he got his pizza, he thanked me and we went our separate ways. I returned to my buddy in my car only to hear him utter these depressing words, "I don't want to disappoint you, but I ran into that kid about 2 months ago and he told almost the same exact story." Then it hit...

I just got played. Cheated. Taken advantage of.

The reality is that this kid probably had a place to stay that. He is probably hooked on some drug and is unofficially fundraising to feed his addiction. Who knows what the real truth is. All I know is it is sad that people have to lie and manipulate other people to try to get "aid and assistance."

I learned my lesson this time and I will be more cautious in the future. And all of you who live in Mesa and are reading this: if a 19 year old wants money and he just got kicked out of the house, DON'T BELIEVE HIM!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jared said...

Wow Jared that is crazy! Hey it was good to see you the other day at Starbucks!!

-Jared

July 19, 2008 at 2:32 PM

 
Blogger Romi said...

Sorry Jared you got played! : ( I know it feels pretty poopey. I can't tell you how many times I've been duped. Sometimes I feel like I have this target on my head that reads "Suckah waitin' to be taken"! Like you I really try to be discerning when I encounter situations like these, but it's hard! We all want to be Christ-like to others, but where do you draw the line? How do you really know if a total stranger has a legit need they claim to have? Well you don't and I've come to learn to act on faith that God will use this situation for His purposes whether the person turns out to be legit or not (although there are situations where it's pretty clear when not to help someone.) In God's economy, NOTHING is ever wasted. Maybe just maybe God is using you and all the other duped people's kindness toward this kid as a means to reach him and draw him back to God? You just don't know, but that's where faith and trust comes in. I'd rather be taken and swallow my pride if that means bringing someone ultimately to Christ. So you did do the right thing...just trust God to do the rest however He sees fit!

And for the record, Barro's pizza with the big air bumps (especially topped with chicken)is the uber BEST!!! YUM!!

July 20, 2008 at 12:53 PM

 
Blogger Tara K said...

I definitely agree with Romi. No matter how much of a liar the other person is and how much they have tried to use you and take advantage of you.. God is going to use your kindness and your willingness to love His people for His good. So as an Australian would say, "Good on ya!" :)

July 22, 2008 at 2:45 PM

 
Blogger The Coffey Grounds said...

Jared, Job well done. You are Jesus with skin. You did the right thing. As for the kid maybe when he's on his kness someday he'll have you as an example to be more like. Let's all pray for this young guy to find Jesus!

PS. It was great seeing you at 3F when Dean was in town a few weeks ago. You do a great job leading worship.

July 28, 2008 at 9:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home