Sunday, March 15, 2009

Why They're My Favorite Band...

Coldplay was recently featured in an interview with Steve Kroft on 60 minutes. You can check it out here. I love me some Coldplay!



I really appreciate the humility, determination, and work ethnic this band has. They aren't out there to be the "greatest band in the world." They are just doing the very best they can with what they have. Here are some quotes from Chris Martin that were inspiring to me.

"We rely more on enthusiasm than actual skill...Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically and people will like it more."

"I can't dance like usher, I can't sing like Beyonce, I can't write songs like Elton John. But we can do the best we can with what we've got...so that's what we do. We just go for it."


Kroft comments that before the end of their tour they will have played before 3 million people, but you wouldn't know it from talking to them. Je found them modest and self effacing. He says:

"You won't catch this band in tight leather pants or snorting drugs off the back of a stripper. The British press often rags on them for being too earnest and boring. They are extremely consciences, dedicated to their music, and leave a small carbon imprint. They all share equally in the profits..."


What is more, the band has certain rules that they abide by when making new music/albums. This is incredibly fascinating and just awesome! You can see them in the interview and I also found them on a website:

1. ALBUMS MUST BE NO LONGER THAN 42 MINUTES, OR 9 TRACKS.
2. PRODUCTION MUST BE AMAZING, RICH, BUT WITH SPACE, NOT OVERLAYORED, LESS TRACKS, MORE QUALITY. GROOVE AND SWING. Drums/Rhythm are the most crucial thing to concentrate on; diff. between bittersweet and science of silence
3. COMPUTERS ARE INSTRUMENTS, NOT RECORDING AIDS.
4. IMAGERY MUST BE CLASSIC, COLOURFUL, AND DIFFERENT. COME BACK IN GLORIOUS TECHNICOLOUR.
5. MAKE SURE VIDEOS AND PICTURES ARE GREAT BEFORE SETTING RELEASE DATE. And highly original.
6. PLEASE KEEP MYSTERY. Not many interviews.
7. GROOVE AND SWING. RHYTHM AND SOUNDS MUST ALWAYS BE AS ORIGINAL AS POSSIBLE. Once jon has melody, twist it and weird it sonical.
8. Promo/review copies to be on vinyl. Stops copying problem. Sounds and looks better.
9. Jaqueline sabriado, ns p cc, face forward
10. Think about what to do with charity account. Set up something small but really enabling and constructive. Ref; j oliver fifteen

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Tara K said...

Ah I love them! This makes me want to see them so bad.. I'm jealous you've seen them, twice now? or 3 times?

Anyways, thanks for posting this.. I really enjoyed it. As I was watching, I was thinking about how I've never really seen many interviews about them. Makes sense, as it's one of their rules. :) I saw a different side of Chris through this.

March 16, 2009 at 2:15 PM

 
Blogger Jason said...

they're so good and so smart. i want to be them. great find!

March 16, 2009 at 6:22 PM

 
Blogger Romi said...

Wow, now I'm even more captivated and enamored by these guys!! And I'm not surprised they have "rules" for making music...I really appreciate how they hold to a higher standard than most bands. I think any creativity needs a certain degree of structure to help channel, shape, and mold it into the incredible art form it is to be. And I just love their humility especially acknowledging they aren't THE best, but capitalize on their enthusiasm and zeal. That really inspires and encourages me!

Thanks again, Jared! You always find the bestest stuff out there!! : )

March 17, 2009 at 11:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home