Friday, July 25, 2008

Harvard

Well, I finally made it to the Boston area today. The journey consisted of an hour ferry ride, a two hour bus ride, a 30 minute subway ride, and another 15-20 minute bus ride. Nevertheless I finally made it to Arlington (12 miles West of Boston) where I will be staying with a friend.

After resting a bit I set out for Harvard which is just 5 miles from where I am staying. It was interesting, but not nearly as big as I thought it would be. The area has a college town feel but its nothing too special. Honestly, it felt like a cheap imitation of Oxford. It doesn't even come close to Oxford!





Harvard is the most prestigious university in America and a lot of brilliant minds have come from there. Interestingly enough it was started in 1636 by Puritan leaders to educate future generations of clergy. When young Charlestown minister John Harvard died two years later and left his books and half his money to the college, it was renamed Harvard.

John Harvard





As I was heading home this is what I saw in Harvard Square. It blew my mind and I still don't know what to think about it.



This is the most bizarre street evangelism I have ever seen to this day. They are a group from a Menonnite church despite looking like pilgrims fresh off the Mayflower. The Pastor is shown here speaking about how the "Good Lord" hath saved our souls from hell. "Thees" and "Thous" and all the other stuff you would hear a century ago. I couldn't tell if they were putting on a play or if this was the real deal. It was sad to watch them speak about the Lord while young people walked by laughing and mocking them. It made me cringe. Is this really what following Jesus looks like? Funny enough there were two mormon missionaries talking to one of the guys there. They both looked the same except the Mennonite didn't have an elder badge on. Again, I don't know what to make of this experience. All I can say is that God is sovereign and He can defend Himself if He so pleases.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

We'll miss you Monday for LOST, but somehow I think Harvard, Nantucket, Boston, and giant lobsters may be a good trade on your side ;-)

July 27, 2008 at 3:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home