Saturday, January 3, 2009

Excelling in 2009

A friend asked me the other day if I made any New Year's resolutions and at first I went blank. I have never been big on "New Year's Resolutions" but the more I thought about the question, the more I realized that I do have some goals and aspirations for the big 2009.

I am definitely a visual person and need to "see" my goals in order to keep focused on them. I also like to be neat and organized, although I fully admit that it is difficult at times. If I am messy it means one thing - I'm stressed and overwhelmed. All that is to say, I am choosing to create habits this year that will help me focus on the goals I want to achieve. So meet my new best friend - X.



Excel is a program for my personality. You can make lists, charts, graphs and formulas to serve your purpose, whatever that may be. Right now I'm a novice at best with X, but I'm hoping that will all change this year. As I learn it, I know it will help me focus on what I want to accomplish and EXCEL in life (no pun intended).

To start, I made a simple and somewhat generic list of goals and things I want to do in 2009. This is only the beginning. My plan is to add to this and build more and more "action steps" to help me excel in them. If you have read my blog in the past, you know that DISCIPLINE has been a key word for me. It will continue to be in '09. But I just don't want to be discipline. No, I want to EXCEL in everything I do.

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."
- Colossians 3:17

Click image to make bigger

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sheri said...

I love it–a fellow X-er! I just made a budget in excel this morning :) Put my '09 goals in a spreadsheet earlier this week and broke it down into quarterly mini goals (much more likely for me to stay on track that way).

Way to go Jared!

January 3, 2009 at 9:54 PM

 
Blogger Jared Ulrich said...

Nice Sheri! Good thinking with the quarterly goals. I'll have to try that.

January 4, 2009 at 11:22 AM

 
Blogger Mitch Eiler said...

I believe I spotted a possible error on the Goals list under the nutrition category... "Substitute fries for veggies" Wouldn't that be substitute veggies for fries? I'm not a health expert but that sounds a bit more conducive to your goal. These are exciting goals buddy, and I'm even more excited I'm going to help you cross one of the childhood dream list this year! I am Indy!

January 5, 2009 at 9:29 AM

 
Blogger Romi said...

After reading Sheri's blog on goals for '09 and now yours, I'm really inspired and motivated to finally write mine down (working on it now and will blog on it soon.) As a rule, I normally just don't get around to doing it and before I know it *Poof* we're already half way through the year and by then it doesn't feel like such a new year anymore. But I think committing goals to paper/keys and to others is a great thing and the first step toward attaining and accomplishing them. Plus it's a bueno way for others to support, encourage, and keep you accountable.

And I agree with Mitch and Tara, the substituting fries for veggies is a wee bit suspect, but I'm sure that was your subconcsious not willing to let you give up those tasty fries. Or it was a means to test to see who thoroughly reads your blog (tricky, but good!) ; )

But seriously, impressive job on setting up your goals like this!!

January 5, 2009 at 12:52 PM

 
Blogger Jared Ulrich said...

Ha picky picky! Sorry I think I wrote them at like 1 in the morning or something so I wasn't all there :-)

What I MEANT is that I am going to substitute veggies for my fries. My sincere apologies!

January 5, 2009 at 4:43 PM

 
Blogger Andrea Sipe said...

Hey - I understood . . . well, I mean I understood what you meant, still not sure I understand WHY! :) Except, when I eat fries and my stomach churns for 4 hours, THEN I know why, and I am convicted, thinking "if I ate veggies instead, I wouldn't be HAVING this problem . . ." Great thoughts, great goals! Can't wait to see how many you cross of your list!! :)

January 7, 2009 at 3:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home