Sunday, August 3, 2008

Two Books Worth a Read

I recently read two works of fiction that were simply "can't put it down" reads. I would recommend that all followers of Christ read these books. They bring such a fresh perspective to life, love, and relationship to God.


The first book is called The Shack. This is about a guy named Mac who has been plagued with a few traumatic circumstances. Because of this, he finds himself having a supernatural experience that will leave him changed forever.

The thing I appreciate most about this book is that it deals with real life issues. It also addresses many misconceptions about Christianity. Through Mac's weekend away at a shack, he has an encounter with God and is forced to face a past that is filled with guilt, fear and plenty of doubt. I give this book a 5 out of 5!

You can even get a free copy of the book at papaslove.org.



The second book is called Redeeming Love. It takes place in the late 1800's and is a loose retelling of the book of Hosea in the Bible. It's technically a romance novel, but I didn't know that going into it :-)

What would you do if God asked you to marry a prostitute? This story will send you on a roller coaster of emotions. The thing I appreciate about this book is how it captures God's heart for His people. I give this book a 5 out of 5 too!

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Tara K said...

Thanks for recommending these books to me Jared! I absolutely LOVED Redeeming Love and I'm currently reading The Shack. I'm having my friends here reading them :)

August 3, 2008 at 11:49 PM

 
Blogger Romi said...

Hmmm...so this is what you were so intently typing up in the choir room, eh? Good stuff, Jared! As a rule, I don't normally like reading fiction, but these two books are an exception and were really terrific and caused me to wrestle with some compelling questions. And mega bonus points for you on reading Redeeming Love! But me thinks the cover should have tipped you off that it was romantical. ; )

August 4, 2008 at 1:13 PM

 
Blogger Andrea Sipe said...

2 books I want to read . . . guess I'll have to pick them up. :) I have to say that Hosea is probably one of my absolute favorite books of the Bible (right along-side Song of Songs - yes, I'm a romantic!!) . . . thanks for the recommend - once I've had a book recommended to me several times from several different people, I usually get the clue from God that He wants me to read them . . . *sigh* Guess that means a trip to the library is in order. :)

August 5, 2008 at 11:43 AM

 
Blogger michelle said...

Just stumbled over from the link on Landon's blog. :) (seems like everyone has a blog...)

If you liked "Redeeming Love" and aren't too squicked out with romance after it, I'd recommend Francine Rivers' "Mark Of The Lion" series. Set in Rome not long after the death of Christ, it's less of a romance and more like a family history.

--Michelle, random 3F attendee

August 5, 2008 at 12:16 PM

 
Blogger Breanna said...

I LOVE Redeeming Love it is probably one of the best book I have ever read!

Francine Rivers is a great author.

-Breanna

August 7, 2008 at 4:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home