Monday, September 22, 2008

Lone Survivor


I just got done reading one of the most incredible stories I have ever read. Lone Survivor is the story of Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell and Operation Redwing. It is absolutely gut-wrenching! I highly recommend this book to anyone. You will not be disappointed.

Marcus talks about the principles that he learned in the Navy as a SEAL. These principles include: honor, courage, commitment, confidence, discipline, determination, leadership, respect and teamwork. This is what the SEALS live and die by, and in Lone Survivor, we get a first hand account of these principles in action.

The discipline that the Navy drills into SEALS is completely ridiculous. I cannot believe the vigorous training that they have to endure. They push them and push them until they can’t be push anymore. Then they push them some more. It made me hurt just reading about their training. I can’t imagine wading in freezing cold water for twenty minutes only to have a couple minute break and then doing it two more times. Or running four miles in boots and wearing eighty pounds of gear, all in under thirty-two minutes. The list goes on, but as cool as it sounds to be a Navy SEAL I am thankful that I have never had to go through any of that. These guys are tough.

Another thing they instill into SEALS is confidence. They are taught a “never-quit” attitude in which they believe to the core that they will be successful in whatever they do. There is no room for failure. They are taught to never surrender. You die before you surrender to the enemy. This confidence and drive is admirable. Though it comes across as arrogance at times, SEALS believe they are the best of the best. Indeed, they are for they have earned it through their training.

Respect is something that is demanded of the SEALS. You are to respect your teammates and are to obey anything your superiors command. “Always remember your own accountability, to yourselves, your superiors, and your teammates. The chain of command is sacred. Use it” (91).

Teamwork is a non-negotiable for the SEALS. I enjoyed reading about this value and it served as a great reminder for me that life is not meant to be lived alone. We need each other. The SEALS recognize that the only way they can be successful is to work together. There is no room for self. This, I believe, is exactly what Jesus taught his followers to be like. It is the very definition of the body of Christ. I found this quote inspiring, “We’re all in it together, and the first thing they instill in you at Idoc is that you will live and train as a class, as a team. Sorry. Did I say instill in you? I meant, ram home with a jackhammer. Teamwork. They slam that word at you every other minute. Teamwork. Teamwork. Teamwork” (81).


Here are a few other quotes that were really powerful for me:

“I give it everything. On time. Every time. Might not always be good enough, but it’s always my very best shot” (88).

“always listen, and always jump all over anything your instructor tells you. Get out in front. Fast. Then make sure you stay up there” (89).

“Stay alert. Be on time. And be accountable for your actions at all times, in and out of uniform. Remember, your reputation is everything” (109).

“He closed by telling us the real battle is won in the mind. It’s won by guys who understand their areas of weakness, who sit and think about it, plotting and planning to improve. Attending to the detail. Work on their weaknesses and overcome them. Because the can” (123).


I can't really do justice to the Operation Redwing story by telling it, but just to give you an idea, it was a Navy SEAL team mission to take out a terrorist in the mountains of Afghanistan. Luttrell and three other SEALS set off, but after being compromised, the 4 SEALS were left to fight 100+ Taliban fighters armed with AK-47 and RPG's. Watch this interview with Luttrell and read the book! It will change your life!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Romi said...

Thanks for this great overview of the book...I've already put 2 copies of it on my next book order (one for me and one for my dad who was a Navy guy!) This sounds like a phenomenal read and I have no doubt that it's life changing!!

September 22, 2008 at 6:01 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Lone Survivor is amazing. If you loved this book you must read "House to House: A Soldier's Memoir" by SSG David Bellavia. I read this book in 2 days. You will have a new appreciation for what our men and women in uniform sacrifice. A great read.

October 2, 2008 at 5:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home