Sunday, August 31, 2008

It's Hard Being Chris Martin

Coldplay is my favorite band. They have been #1 for me ever since I first saw them in concert and totally rocked my musical world. Not only is their music solid and creative, but their charismatic frontman, Chris Martin, is in my opinion one of the greatest musical entertainers around. Many people think he is extremely weird and goofy onstage, but I flat out disagree. He brings a realness that makes you feel like you are getting the real deal - the real Chris, not a show. His personality shines through his music and it is obvious that he loves what he does.

Nevertheless, its hard to follow in his footsteps. This weekend at Third Format I sang LOST!, a song from their new album, Viva La Vida or Death and all His Friends. Putting away my guitar and singing without it is a hard thing for me to do. It is kind of like my security blanket so-to-speak. On top of that, it is a Coldplay song so you have Chris Martin's energy and charisma as the bar. I probably watched 20 or so videos on youtube trying to capture a fraction of the pizzaz that he possesses. Now, my goal was not to copy him and be some sort of Chris Martin "wannabe." Instead, I wanted to do my very best to make the song as enjoyable as it's original creator makes it.

The song went alright and I was mostly satisfied. I still felt slightly uncomfortable without my guitar, but thats ok. It's just like anything else in life. You have to keep trying even if you fail, then eventually you will grow and get better. All in all, it was a good challenge and a fun song to perform. If you want to see Chris in action performing it, watch the video below.


PS. A review of their new album is coming soon. It is awesome!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Cassie said...

haha. Now you know how hard it is!!

Seriously though, you guys rocked it this weekend and I think you did great without your "security blanket"

August 31, 2008 at 9:41 PM

 
Blogger Tara K said...

I would like to see the dvd of you guys performing this one. I think this is the third Coldplay song you've done? :-)

September 1, 2008 at 3:32 AM

 
Blogger Tara K said...

Oh and did you have someone playing that bass drum? That would be sweet!

September 1, 2008 at 3:33 AM

 
Blogger Jared Ulrich said...

Yep it is the third Coldplay song I have done! And yes, we had Joey playing the bass drum and it was pretty cool!

September 1, 2008 at 10:56 AM

 
Blogger Andrea Sipe said...

It WAS cool . . . well done!!

And I love in the video when Chris says "my dancing is more about enthusiasm than talent" - that basically says it right there!! He loves what he does, it is life-giving to those who listen and become a part of it, in a way. Their music touches something so deep within that I would say it gives us a glimpse of the beauty of God (whether Chris intends it to do so or not) . . . I love this album!! I love the dynamics, the different facets and how they don't seem to be following a formula, rather they seem to be overflowing with passion and life.

Again, great job this weekend . . . it was real, and well done!! Oh, and Joe on the drum was so much fun!!! :)

September 1, 2008 at 12:17 PM

 
Blogger Brandy said...

It was a bit strange to see you on stage without your guitar. However you did a good job! :)

September 1, 2008 at 12:58 PM

 
Blogger Romi said...

Just another cool 3F music moment!!! : ) You and the crew did a stellar job on that song and really nailed it!!! And personally, you approached it the right way by intentionally NOT trying to be Chris Martin and Coldplay!! It was your intreptation/your spin of the song that made it genuine, enjoyable and made it sing!!

And kudos for stepping out of your comfort zone and going guitarless. I admit it was strange to see you without your guitar, but nonetheless a very nice surprise...you did a great job and should consider doing that from time to time. It definitely keeps we, the audience, on our toes!! ; )

September 1, 2008 at 7:43 PM

 
Blogger Romi said...

Whoopsie...I meant to say 'interpretation'! : (

September 1, 2008 at 7:45 PM

 
Blogger Tara K said...

Sweet!
K so I totally know what you mean about it being weird singing without your guitar.... Today I was part of the choir in chapel and it was so weird to me... I never realised that the drumset is actually like my comfort blanket as well. But as I was worshipping in the choir, I realised that it doesn't matter the location or position you're in, but that you can still fully worship God.

September 2, 2008 at 8:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home