Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Legend of Hood

I absolutely love reading fiction books. I mean, who doesn't love a great story that draws you in as you get lost in the adventure? A few years ago one of my professors, Dr. Baloian, recommended a book called, Byzantium by Stephen Lawhead. Intrigued, I read it and it immediately became my favorite fiction book (One of the easiest ways to judge how good a fiction book is that you have to keep reading to find out what happens). Its about an Irish monk named Aidan, who sets out on a journey to Constantinople to deliver an important manuscript to the Byzantine Emperor. Aidan experiences many trials and through his unfortunate circumstances he loses His faith in God. God, however, does not give up on him, but rather floods Aidan's life with grace, compeling him to rekindle his faith.

Since Byzantium I have read other books by Lawhead that have just been alright. One that I was extremely excited about was Hood. I just finished it last week, but was sorely disappointed with it. It is the first book in a trilogy that gives a retelling of the legend of Robin Hood. I have always loved the story of Robin Hood, yet Lawhead's story is lacking good action. It is mostly filled with character development. In other words, this book was hard NOT to put down and I had to push through it. I was really bummed with this book and I seriously doubt I will be finishing the trilogy.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Romi said...

Well, that's poopey! Sorry about that Jared. I hate when a book I'm really looking forward to turns out to be a dud. : (

Have you ever read "The Alchemist" by Paul Coehlo? I think you'd like it. It's about an Andalusian shepherd boy who one night dreams of a distant treasure in the Egyptian pyramids. And so he's off: leaving Spain to literally follow his dream.
Along the way he meets many spiritual messengers, who come in unassuming forms such as a camel driver and a well-read Englishman. In one of the Englishman's books, Santiago first learns about the alchemists--men who believed that if a metal were heated for many years, it would free itself of all its individual properties, and what was left would be the "Soul of the World." Of course he does eventually meet an alchemist, and the ensuing student-teacher relationship clarifies much of the boy's misguided agenda, while also emboldening him to stay true to his dreams.

August 26, 2008 at 10:44 PM

 
Blogger Andrea Sipe said...

OK, so "Byzantium" and "The Alchemist" - adding them to my list right now. :) Thanks!!

August 27, 2008 at 2:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home